My photo
Observing and Reporting.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Hobo Civilization - Why Mad Men Ruined Everything

I've never been able to be a huge Mad Men fan. I couldn't get past the first season.


Actually, I rate most of Mad Men lower than another favourite craptastic crowd-pleaser - the almost sit-commy Heroes - I managed 19 episodes of Heroes Season 1, by contrast, I got only till the middle of episode 11 with Mad Men. And although I rate Mad Men lower, I hate Heroes more, simply because saving the world is not merely a function of saving the cheerleader. Heroes was horrible, while Mad Men is simply tedious.


But most of that isn't because I can't relate to the show. Actually, I related to some parts a little too much and there was a speicific scene that I keep going back to in real life. It's from episode 8 from season one - the part where Don wants to take one of his ladies to Paris, literally, at the drop of a hat. It's also the scene that he gets stoned with a few well placed Beatnik impersonators, and during the process, wholly owns them. The scene in question is also the reason that I believe Don Draper has ruined advertising for, well, people in advertising.

Right. Here's the clip. Wait till  the end because it's worth the wait [and only about two and a half minutes long]: 



[here's some transcripts from the scene]

Midge's Friend: Dig. Ad man's got a heart.
Midge Daniels: The grown-ups are talking.
Midge's Friend: Don't defend him. [to Don] Toothpaste doesn't solve anything. Dacron sure as hell won't bring back those ten dead kids in Biloxi.
Don Draper: Neither will buying some Tokaj wine and leaning up against a wall in Grand Central pretending you're a vagrant.
Midge's Friend: You know what it's like to watch all you ants go into your hive? I wipe my ass with the Wall Street Journal.
Woman: How come every time we have a party the ladies have to sit and listen to the men talk?
Midge's Friend: Look at you. Satisfied, dreaming up jingles for soap flakes and spot remover, telling yourself you're free.
Don Draper: Oh, my God. Stop talking and make something of yourself.
Roy: Like you? You make the lie. You invent want. You're for them... not us.
Don Draper: Well, I hate to break it to you, but there is no big lie. There is no system. The universe is indifferent.

He goes on, in the same episode to say...
Don Draper: [speaking to a client] Listen, I'm not here to tell you about Jesus. You already know about Jesus, either he lives in your heart or he doesn't.

While most of this is very well written conversational polemic, it makes for difficult viewing, considering the ease with which the clearly schizophrenic Draper conducts himself while delivering these awesome lines. It makes you wonder if the Nietzschean (there's that word again) Ubermensch of an ad-man on-screen actually does have a heart. And it's never good for you if you're wondering if the other guy/girl has a heart now, is it? 

At the end of the scene though, Jon Hamm absolutely vindicates Ask Men's 2009 ranking of Don Draper as the most influential man in the world, ahead of real life figures (remember, Saddam was alive then)


Roy: [sees Don turn towards the door] Can't go out there. There's cops.
Don Draper: [strategic pause included] You can't. 



And when he says that, hat in hand, you know things can't possibly be better. Not in life and not on TV. The world changes, like in that instant in stories you've heard, and you're still sitting there watching the show.


Stop watching. Make something of yourself.

3 comments:

Atrisa said...

Can't we do both?

You know what you missed out on? -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyy8roNU060

Agent Orange said...

Sure you can do both. The universe is indifferent. [which is kinda the point, here]

And although I feel bad about missing out on Megan Draper, that performance don't hold a candle to some that I've witnessed firsthand. :)

Atrisa said...

Hahaha! There's a huge difference between a public and a private performance ;)