My photo
Observing and Reporting.

Monday, March 5, 2012

The Updated History of Time-Wasting.

The fact that I went to college for six straight years puts me, and anyone else who's done the same, in pole position to do a lot of things that others, who took a break in between to 'work' and those who might have invested fewer years in being variously institutionalized, might take a couple of years getting around to. The benefits of college are many, and among becoming experts in shared existence and community living that boys hostels instill in you (what's that peculiar smell) and teaching you the real importance of deadlines, the one benefit that I would like to most draw your attention to right now is my post-graduate diploma in unabashed time-wasting. I'm an expert like no other, if the least you want to do is procrastinate. My bestest friends will testify.

Qualified narcissism aside, my tryst with time wasting goes back to school: when we were forced to sit for three hours to write ridiculously short answers to the deepest questions in life, and they won't let you out early if you finish yours, because you had to, had to, had to sit there till there were only 15 minutes to the final examination bell. Or how they'd only let two people go to the boys' room at a time, if only to ensure that people did skip classes en masse. Because life has a waiting clause, I have a wasting clause. Call me reactionary.

So when I spent the best nights of the best years of my life typing away in random forums on ridiculously far-fetched MMORPGs or IRC and later Orkut, my recent (largely authoritarian) media tryst with Facebook made me miss that most love-able aspect of social networking: flaming some. A friend came up with the idea, and we've gone to work.

To know more: get on here and wait.
https://www.facebook.com/tfnreadingclub
https://twitter.com/#!/tfnreadingclub

Catchy title you say? I know.

“You are educated. Your certification is in your degree. You may think of it as the ticket to the good life. Let me ask you to think of an alternative. Think of it as your ticket to change the world.” 
- Tom Broke A Law. 

No comments: