My photo
Observing and Reporting.

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Autobiographers and the Ilk

I've always wondered. How do you decide if your life is worth writing a book about? Is it the number of people you kill? Or re-unite? Or fuck or fuck-over? Does gulping down more whiskey or owning the most number of jets make the grade? I know it makes the cut if you're Hugh Hefner, now he's one dude we all would like to read about, right? Who decides, when it's time to write an autobiography? Was my life less readable than yours? Or his? Or are you, autobiographer, trying to rub it in, and make some money out of telling me: Haha, idiot! You're going to make me rich by reading about me!

I don't know if my life is more interesting than yours. Do you?

I don't know. I want to write a book. Now if I only knew how.

9 comments:

Sarkar said...

i told u u'd get a little bored

Agent Orange said...

Still having way more fun than you are, Fiona.

Atrisa said...

You know Date, I've always wondered about that! Anyway I think you might be able to cook up an interesting book. Just mention a lot of football :P

Unknown said...

I don't know why but this book-writing is a new trend these days. I read some Indian fiction novels recently like Zero percentile, Anything for you ma'am, Decades lost and all the writers were fresh IIT pass-outs !! The books were OK, not bad. If you are thinking of a writing one its cool, I will be among the first ones to read it :)

Agent Orange said...

Isn't it the pits to have a nickname like 'Date'?

Heh, yeah. I would mention football, if I only knew how to get started. =|

Asheesh - Thanks man. But don't worry, I'm not shooting anything the publisher's way anytime soon. :)

Unaccustomed Mirth said...

Arre, tu likh to, phir dekhenge.
Also, grass...greener...other side et al? Weird tendency where people think their neighbour or facebook friend's life is more interesting.

Anonymous said...

i don't know what it is, but honestly reading isn't big these days. i've read a few( by that i mean literally abt 2-3 ) books by new young indian authors and somehow am not impressed. its getting harder to find quality stuff in the sea of new authors out here. and its not just us all those stupid chick lit out there is also trash its a waste of good money and time. i've actually just got myself into reading really old literature now, which is strange in my house since everybody read stuff worth reading by the time they were 18. i'm still starting out and am actually asking people for advice on good stuff to read.

why write a book when you can blog about your life....i find we all pretty much have the same stuff happening for us with a basic difference. some of us get up everyday and do all the things we want to do therefore earning our chances and opportunities while most of us wait for them to come to us.
tb

Agent Orange said...

Rini: I know. Doesn't make sense to me, somehow.

TB: I know what you mean. I almost half-wrote a post about how similar everyone's life is, if not to each other then to itself, over and over. So, if I tell my story, or whatever, you know, write what I know, how is it readable to you anyway?

Weird web, that one. Opens unto itself, and never shuts.

What're you upto in life?

Ashima Saxena said...

Writing a book is as much discipline as inspiration.

Some injunctions about the actual writing

Be ambitious- keep the canvas expansive.
Remember: great books don't worry about plot.
Ideas and characters- focus on those.
Form matters as much as content.Innovate.
Write in the third person- with authorial omniscience.
Make the prose memorable- provide stylistic joy.
Steer clear of displays of emotion.
Keep the writing hard nosed- the world is a hard place.
Don't struggle to be plausible- India is implausible.
Avoid writing about sex- difficult to pull off, easy to trash.
Don't talk the writing away.

And most importantly,
The world is full of unread garbage- do not add to it.